2022 HOUSTON JERK FEST COOKING COMPETITION
The competition is open to all professional or amateur chefs. All participants must complete the application form at the bottom of this page! A $100 Payment will be need to be completed once application had been Reviewed by our Office.
1. Participants will provide all ingredients, grills and cooking utensils necessary to prepare and cook their entrée's in the presence of the Judges. Participant set up should be completed by 1:00pm. Contestants must adhere to all health, electrical, fire and other codes whether city, county, state or federal.
2. Chef’s meeting at 1:15pm in the judging area. Cooking will be 2:00pm – 5:00pm. Judging will be at 5:00pm - 6:00pm. Winners announced at approximately 6:30pm
3. Each entrée may be presented with an appropriate accompaniment of your choice.
4. A maximum of TWO main dishes may be entered by each competitor from the following categories: (a) Jerked Pork (b) Jerked Chicken (c) Jerked Fish (d) Other meat or vegetarian dish
5. No cooking of any kind may begin until meat has been inspected by the authorized Inspector or Judge.
6. A dress code of black pants, white/team shirt and a chef’s cap/head cover will be mandatory for all participants. Aprons will be provided to participants by contest organizer.
7. Each participant will be allowed a maximum of two assistants.
8. Food must be displayed in an approved container provided by the participants, then numbered by judging officials.
Presentation options for judging.
A. Sauces and condiments must be presented in separate bowls with spoon for tasting.
B. All garnishes must be edible.
C. Please avoid over garnishing.
D. Please avoid using plastic utensils
E. ANY display presented in aluminum foil containers will NOT be judged.
Judging will be scored accordingly in the following categories:
Presentation of Dish............................25 points (ranging from1-25)
Texture/Tenderness..................................30 points (ranging from 1-30)
Taste.............................................30 points (ranging from 1-30)
Chef’s Appearance/Work Area ..............15 points (ranging from 1-15)
There will be no refund of entry fees for any reason.
The decision and interpretations of the Houston Jerk Festival rules and regulations are at the discretion and decision of the judges at the contest. Their interpretations and decisions are
PARTICIPANTS ARE REQUIRED TO BE EIGHTEEN YEARS OR OLDER.
ABSOLUTELY NO VENDING ALLOWED